Saturday, January 24, 2015

Could Have Asked If She Came Here Often

Tuesday morning. Craving a biscuit I went to the cafeteria. In the distance a beautiful apparition crossed the hall to the cafeteria ahead of me. When I too entered the apotheosis of beauty stood before me. Her delicate body was subtly dressed but it was her hair, black and silky, seduced me. Her opulent tresses were pulled from the sides and drawn back by how I do not remember. I was enraptured. But then instinct took hold and readied me to look away should she - even for a second - make the slightest motion of turning around when she'd see me in a mesmeric state. I walked away to the short line to acquire the prized biscuit.

With my diminished prize in hand, I approached the clerk where she approached the same clerk from the other side. Oh what a beautiful face, so beautiful I could never identify her, it's effect, so radiant, my mind's eye is now blind from the sun into which I stared too long. She paid first and I second. As I paid for my dismal item she seemed to wait a beat before proceeding. Was it for me - to ensure our rendezvous? The thought both excited and frightened me, rendering my cataleptic.

Behind her again I cowardly waited for her to retrieve a knife fork and napkin, after which I took mine. She set off for the elevator and I for the office. As I ate the salty, bland biscuit I reminisced my close encounter with what would have been if only I had said something. Anything! So simple it is to say "hi" but it would have been easier to touch the sun without recoil. I'm desperately tempted to sit and wait for her every morning but if I do see her again? (run!) What would I say? (don't, run!)

No comments:

Post a Comment