Sunday, July 26, 2015

Diary Of A Madman

Read Maupassant's Diary Of A Madman yesterday - a short story about a magistrate who develops an interest for murder then acts upon this interest, . the magistrate first murder is that of a small pet bird belonging to his servant, Jean. I don't think I could do that myself, harming a peaceful, innocent animal in such a way. Granted many times before I shot robins out of the cherry tree and frogs for target practice, however if I felt so brave to hold one in my hands for the purpose of killing it, to kill it for anything other than for food, I refuse to do it (on most accounts).

Man, on the other hand, I'm certain id have no reservation to kill for man is either guilty or in time will be guilty of many indecent acts upon man or nature. It's easy to rationalize homicide in another way when one does it for religious purpose. If the marked victim is religious, if they believe of a better place after death, then where is the crime? What is so heinous in expediting a man's ascension (to a higher existence)? Some may say the crime is taking him away from them, but is that not selfish of those left behind? Why not kill yourself and join him if you miss him so much? Are you afraid of how happy you will be in your heaven? If suicide is against your religion, then allow me to expedite your ascension. I'll make it quick and painless but I insist on looking you in the eye as it must be a personal experience for both you and me. For my assistance, would you mind if I drank your blood as it flows from your body?

___

Ps. Guy de Maupassant's Diary Of A Madman (which has nothing to do with the decent into madness) is nothing when compared to Nikolai Gogol's Diary Of A Madman.

No comments:

Post a Comment